How To Detect Sexual Harassment

COMMENT

Have you ever experienced a suggestive attack on your persona that you thought was harmless? Some of us many not even be aware that the act is already sexual in nature and already offensive. It is aptly called sexual harassment which the web dictionary defines as "unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors and other verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature."

Below is a set of tips to guide you in determining whether the person is making an act of sexual harassment either in the workplace or the university campus. These acts are punishable under the law.

1. The maniacal way of staring at any part of your body.

If a man accidentally stares at you and lingers for just seconds, that's quite okay. He probably wants to ask you a question or two or maybe he forgets what he's up to. But believe me, if that man routinely has a staring feast on your body at a certain given time, he is deviant.

2. Groping or inappropriately touching any sensitive part of your body.

If a man stands close to you and again,accidentally brushes against you, he may not mean it. Maybe he is just blindsided or in a haste. But if you feel that he deliberately rubs against any part of your body in a sexual tone, then better be forewarned.

3. MAKING DIRTY JOKES AND SEXUAL COMMENTS ABOUT YOUR BODY.

I used to have an office mate who was naturally playful around me. He loved to call me "babe" and sometimes "honey." But I didn't mind because he was like a brother to me. And besides his manner of tone was quite polite and innocent.

But here' s warning. It is a different case when your colleague begins to joke around your sexuality and refers to your "tits", "bums" and "venus mount" in a very provocative and lewd way.

4. ASKING YOU REPEATEDLY FOR A DATE EVEN IF YOU HAVE SAID "NO" A COUPLE OF TIMES.

There are times when in the beginning of courtship, a suitor or admirer may beg for a second date or another just to prove his tenacity to us. That is perfectly valid especially if you also like him.

But here's the twist: If you clearly state from the very beginning that he is not your type and therefore he has no hopes of winning your heart and then he persists a hundred times to take you out, you had better render a resignation letter the soonest possible.

5. SPREADING SEXUAL STORIES ABOUT YOU THAT ARE UNTRUE.

Do you have any idea that men can be the worst gossipers around? They make more nasty gossips than women because they are prone to giving explicit details and facts about a certain sexual escapade among their buddies. And they are unabashed when doing so.

So if you catch your male colleagues secretly destroying your reputation behind your back and these sexual stories are unfounded, get ready to call a lawyer. You don't deserve the unfair treatment.

6. OFFERING YOU A REWARD OR MONEY FOR A SEXUAL FAVOR.

This scenario often takes place in the university where there are struggling students who can't pay tuition fees or other necessary school fees on time. There is always the bait of a professor rallying behind your immediate need. Room 21 is always ready for your sexual service and presto your get a staggering grade of A in your thesis or a pardoning of a group project.

Your worth is far more than that. Do not give in to the temptation. There's always another sem for a repeat thesis.

7. GIVING AN UNINVITED MASSAGE ON YOUR NECK OR SHOULDERS.

Come to think of it, there is absolutely nothing wrong if your boyfriend or spouse occasionally massages your neck or shoulders. After all, they have a guaranteed right to do so.

But beware if a supervisor or mentor gives you a soothing massage out of nowhere. If it gets breezy and becomes intense, you will be trapped.

So be alert and quick minded and pack your things as soon as you can.